515F TCM Classics: Selected Readings from Jin Gui Yao Lue (to be updated)
515F TCM Classics: Selected Reading from Jin Gui Yao Lue (28 hours or 2 credits)
This course is designed for students who are enrolled in Dr of TCM program. In Chinese medicine there are four classics that all serious students are required to study. These include the Classic of Internal Medicine (Nei Jing), Treatise on Cold Damage (Shang Han Lun), Synopsis of the Golden Chamber (Jin Kui Yao Lue), and Warm Disease Theory (Wen Bing Xue).
The Jin Kui Yao Lue covers diseases other than external contractions dealt with in the Shang Han Lun, including lung diseases, water swelling, dissipation-thirst, impediment (bì), summerheat stroke, mounting diseases, and gynecological diseases, to name just a few. The first chapter explains the etiology of disease and treatment principles, while the last one discusses food prohibitions.
This course introduces all the basic information about Jin Kui Yao Lue, including its history, disease causes, pattern identification, and general diagnostic and treatment methods.
Students who successfully pass this course should be able to:
- Understand the general theory of Jin Kui Yao Lue.
- Differentiate the syndromes of Jin Kui Yao Lue.
- Diagnose and provide treatment to Jin Kui Yao Lue.
To be announced
See separate course prerequisite information sheet
See details provided by instructor
See instructor’s handout
Course Description of 515X TCM Classics:
A total of seven classic texts in TCM will be introduced in this course for students enrolled in Doctor of TCM program:
1. huang di nei jing (Medical Classic of the Yellow Emperor / The Yellow Emperor's Inner Canon)
2. shang han lun (Treatise on Cold Pathogenic Diseases / Treatise on Febrile Diseases)
3. wen bing xue (Science of Epidemic Febrile Disease)
4. jin gui yao lue (Synopsis of the Golden Chamber)
5. nan jing (Classic of Difficulties)
6. yi jing (Classic of Changes)
7. shen nong ben cao jing (Shennong's Classic of Materia Medica)
#115, #203A, #204; after or with #417